Skip to main content

Background

A historic landscape

Wadhurst Park is a landscape of small fields, ancient woods and streams running in deep-cut ghylls. The soil is mostly heavy Wadhurst clay, and the area has many ponds left from where it has been dug over the centuries for bricks and tiles, to marl fields, and to mine ironstone. 

Changing times

Before the current family owners first came to Wadhurst Park in 1975, the park had seen a lot of change. Almost all of its fields were sprayed, seeded and fertilised as intensively managed pasture, the ancient coppice woods were no longer managed, hedgerows had been grubbed out and the land had been extensively drained. 

Restoring the landscape

Using evidence from historic maps, we’ve been recreating wildflower meadows, replanting hedgerows, coppicing woods again, re-establishing lost woods and solitary trees, restoring lost ponds, and making wetlands in old river meanders. We regularly monitor progress and feed the results back into our planning.

We’ve seen nature respond

Today, butterflies thrive in our flower meadows, woodland rides and glades. Amphibians are prospering, and small mammals flourish in the long grass and shrubby hedgerows. We’re seeing more bird species than ever, many of them threatened or rare, and ten species of bat hunt over our fields, water and woodlands. 

Wadhurst Park timeline

43

Roman period - AD43 to 410

When the Romans arrived in the area it was heavily wooded, sparsely populated and minimally farmed. They called it the forest of Anderida and valued it for its iron production, which they exported beyond Britain. The remains of a Roman ‘bloomery’ - an iron smelting site - have been found on Wadhurst Park.

410

Early medieval period - 410 to 1100

Still heavily wooded, the land was used mainly for seasonal pig grazing, or pannage, alongside hunting and the harvesting of timber and fuel. Temporary woodland pastures, known as dens, were occupied seasonally. This is still reflected in place‑names on the estate, such as Sharnden and Flattenden.

1100

Increasing settlement - 1100 to 1300

Permanent human settlement of the area grew, and woods were increasingly cleared, or 'assarted', for agriculture. Unlike other parts of England, many woods were left uncleared due to their importance as a fodder and fuel resource, including for iron-making. The characteristic High Weald pattern of small, irregular fields amongst woodland was largely established during this period. 

No permanent settlements were recorded on our land in the Domesday book of 1086. First mention of habitation on our site is in 1295.

1481

1481

First reference to a house called Hightown. This name was kept until the 19th century when it was changed to Wadhurst Park.

1652

1652

Anthony Everenden produced the earliest known estate map.

1840

Tithe map - 1840

The tithe map of 1840 shows us who worked the land, what they used it for, and what they called it. The land here was managed by nearly 30 different families, around half of whom were tenants rather than owners. Land use included pasture, hay meadows, arable, orchards, hops, and woodland.

1869

Murrieta family - 1869

The house and land, 1500 acres, were bought by the Murrieta brothers, from Spain. They were London based bankers, making their fortune trading in South America. Their focus for the estate was on social and sporting activities.

The Murrietas engage Edward Tarver to build Wadhurst Hall in the Old English style.

1870

1870s

The first Ordnance Survey map of the area (1878-1879) was made, showing a landscape broadly unchanged since the Middle Ages. We use this map to inform much of our work, from replanting hedgerows and recreating old fields to re-establishing lost woods, ponds and marshes.

1880

1880

Creation of the 33-acre lake to enhance the duck shooting.

1898

Drewe family - 1898 to 1927

The estate, house and most of its contents were bought by Julius Drewe. He had a large staff both in the house and on the land along with large, carefully maintained gardens.

1939

Second World War - 1939 to 1945

The house was requisitioned by the government to the Canadian army. The estate was also used as a prisoner of war camp for German and Italian soldiers who worked on local farms, housed in temporary huts about the grounds.

1950

1950

Wadhurst Hall, having fallen into disrepair, was pulled down and the fittings sold at auction.

1975

1975

Märit and Hans Rausing visited the abandoned site, where only the walls of the Orangery remained. This starts the new chapter in how the land is managed. 

1980

1980

The deer park was created and stocked with a range of exotic and native deer, including Fallow, Red, Sika, Père David and Barasingha. 

1986

1986

Construction of the New House, now a Grade One listed building, designed by John Outram. 

1987

1987

Tree planting begins across the estate. Since then, we have planted more than 800 single trees (and many more in our planted woods). Some are rare Sussex trees such as wild pear and wild service tree. Others are clones of local black poplars, crab apple and veteran white willow.

1996

1996

Batts Wood purchased from the Forestry Commission. This ancient woodland had been turned into a conifer plantation and had been badly damaged in the 1987 storm. Left to regenerate naturally, today it is mostly broadleaved trees and is home to abundant wildlife. 

2018

2018

Wadhurst Park received its first White Storks as part of the reintroduction project.

White Stork Project

2020

2020

After years of reducing numbers, we removed the remaining park deer as well as the deer fences.

2026

Today

We manage our land to restore this historic landscape for the benefit of nature and people.